Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Creation


It's funny how when one looks back over their lives they can see change within themselves and others. Sometimes this transformation is good, other times not so much.

Over these last few weeks, Peter and I have had many conversations as to who we used to be and how we have been transformed by God. It's not that we were awful; we lived as "good" people and tried to do the best we could. All that trying was for ourselves though, for appearance' sake or to show how we compared to others. Looking at ourselves through God's eyes and seeing the new creation He has made  in us, we are thankful for who He is and how we have developed servant hearts for Him.

When Peter prepared to leave for Zambia two weeks ago, we found ourselves in another one of these conversations. We are embarking upon a new chapter in our lives that has little to do with us and everything to do with showing God the glory. I found myself sharing with Peter my feelings toward him and by the end of the conversation knew I also needed to share it with you.

Peter and I have been together for 20 years and met in college so we've seen many changes in each other's lives. We have had our rocky moments in our marriage and also wonderful ones. We have experienced monetary wealth and the lack of it, death of family members, divorce of friends and loved ones, and those arguments that you would never share with another. Each of these experiences has brought us closer together and created a bond between us that could not be replaced with another. We thought we couldn't get any better than what we had.

We had no idea that when we both accepted to walk together with God as our Lord and to commit our lives to Him that we could actually have a different marriage. We always trusted each other in our marriage and never have given the other a reason not to; but the trust that God created between us is unexplainable. I know that I can trust Peter with anything–and I mean absolutely anything–not because he's my husband or my friend, and not because he did anything to gain that trust, because I'm sure there are times he's disappointed me as I have him. Undoubtedly, we will also disappoint each other in the future, too. But over these last few years, I have seen a man grow to love the Lord more than he loves me and it's that aspect that allows me to completely give myself to him. 

Some of you reading this may have found that last comment quite odd, but knowing he loves God more than me lets me know that Peter will never lead me where God doesn't want me to go. If he is putting God first in his life before my desires, then whatever my course, it will always be with God. It may not always be the path of least resistance but through circumstances, my faith in God and my love for Peter have grown.

When I first met Peter, I just thought he was cute. He made me laugh which is something that is sometimes difficult to do; he still makes me laugh. There are times in our relationship that I have loved him and other times that I thought I might smack him upside the head! (I'm sure he feels the same about me even though he may not say it.) 

Now when I look at him, there is something completely different. I see a man that I respect, a man I trust and one I completely love no matter his faults. Not because he is perfect, far from it. It's because when I see him, he is striving to continually look straight at God. Even when he falls down, he is there with God asking for guidance and forgiveness. That's really all I need.

A few friends have said that they admire our leap of faith; it's not to be admired. If we took our focus off God for even a moment, we would probably fall to pieces. Some think it's nuts that we are doing this  as we have always been planners; sometimes we agree with them that it does appear crazy. 

But when we look to God's word and His promises, it's absolutely logical what we are doing. When we look back on our lives and no longer say, "I achieved this on my own doing" and actually see the places where God has led us on the path that we are now, we can see that we never had a plan but have been working straight toward His. The only difference is now we say, "Yes, Lord. We trust you." 

We pray that each of you will grow in your faith to say, "Yes, Lord. I trust you" in whatever path He is leading you. Whether it is for you to serve a neighbor across the street, serve the homeless or even move overseas to serve orphans and widows or preach the gospel.

Has God transformed your life? Can you look back and see His prints all over your path? 

2 Corinthians 5:17 - "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old is gone, the new is here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment