Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Glory to Him

About a week ago, I finished a biography about George Muller, an 1800's missionary who provided for orphans in Bristol, England. I was completely inspired by his faith in the Lord's provision. If you don't know his story, during his adult life he cared for thousands of orphans. To sum up how he did this, one simple word: "Prayer." Quoted in the Liverpool Mercury upon his death: "How was this wonder accomplished? Mr. Muller has told the world that it was the result of 'Prayer.' The rationalism of the day (which is still here today) will sneer at this declaration; but the facts remain."

I won't be a complete spoiler if you want to read his story, but his prayer life inspired me. God's provision was always there for him no matter the circumstance. I'm sure there were times that it wasn't as apparent as others but he showed a steadfast faith that caught my admiration.

My prayers changed as soon as I read his story. Instead of saying, "God, IF you want this please send supporters"; I changed to "God, you have lead us on this path and I trust you completely. We know you will provide. Please grow my faith in your promised provisions. Help me be steadfast just as George Muller."




This has become my constant prayer and it is one that will only show glory and not anything that I did. This is what I long to see. In my rational mind, I don't know how He provides, but I know He does and I know He will.

So fast forward to yesterday. (Does that even make sense?)

God is SO GOOD! That sums it up. He placed someone in my path yesterday that I had never met before and vice versa. We just started talking about our girls in their gymnastics classes. I was content to have that conversation and leave it at that, but God had other plans. It started simple; I shared how He led us to home school the girls. No big deal.

Then, He just laid it on my heart, so simple: "Tell her what I have called your family to do."

My response might surprise you: "REALLY! Can't I just be a 'normal' person for once?" When I say "normal," what I really mean is to be worldly minded and not heavenly minded at that moment. Those of you that know me; well, you know what I did. I started my internal arguing with God. It went something like this:

Can't I just sit here and watch Brittan do her gymnastics?
I mean really, this lady doesn't want to know about this.
To tell the truth, God, I just don't feel like it today. I'm tired of telling the story; I just want to be.

And so on and so forth I go; but I always lose these arguments and all I can say is, "Thank you God for always winning."

So, it starts with the simplest comment of whenever we look back at our lives, we can see God's fingerprints all over it from why He led us down the path of homeschooling the girls. And it begins...

But here is the amazing thing. It's what she told me in the end. This dear woman looked at me and said:

"I have been praying to God to give me an opportunity to be a good steward with my money. I have a generous heart and want to give for His kingdom." She said she was so glad she sat down and started talking to me because God led her to me. As she and I parted ways, she said "I will be giving to your family to help you serve Him in Zambia. I don't know what it will be, but God will let me know just as He has led me here today."

So can I just say WHOA!

When I told Peter about this, he said, "Both of your prayers collided, can you see it?" I didn't see it that way but he was right. Both of us were praying to God to be obedient in some form. In my case to trust in His provision and in hers to find a way to provide.

So often I have sat there and prayed for things but in the end I would say: "Well, I did this; I put together that; I sent out this; I talked to them...." Do you see a pattern? 
I like to sing it in scale: "me, me, me, me, me, me, me." LOOK AT ME!!! 

We forget so often that we have done very little. God gives us each a path and we choose which one we would like. He's on each path, but some lead us along rockier ground than others. But whatever that path is, we will continue "Choosing His Path."


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6 (ESV)


I did originally want to give you all an update to where we are with the house sale and fundraising; but I'm thankful to share God moving.

The quick update is that we are at $790 monthly which is just a bit shy of 10% funded. Our house is under contract and has a closing date of Sept. 19. We will move in with friends as we complete the fundraising process and all that's left is for Peter to give notice to his job. What does that mean? We could be on Zambian ground within 45-60 days.

Is God moving your heart just as He did with the woman that I met this week? We are in need of your partnership and are officially free to leave when we are funded. Were you waiting for precisely this moment before you wanted to give?

Please click on the DONATE button on this blog to give toward our Daily Bread if you would also like to show God's provision to us.

1 comment:

  1. Great story! I recently read about George Muller's ministry and was also amazed at God's provision. We are praying for you guys and praying about our role in your ministry.

    Much love,
    Jane and Eric

    ReplyDelete